Friday, March 2, 2012

A little bit of history

Let's go back about 2 years.  Kelsey and I had just moved to California and I was very excited about heading over to my first motorcycle track day.  Motorcycle track days are basically practicing for motorcycle road racing and quite possibly the most fun you can legally have.  As the year went on and I became more interested in going faster at the track, I realized that my stamina on the motorcycle was pretty poor (I would make it about 4 laps before my quads would start to shake).  After some reading I found that all good motorcycle racers train their bodies by riding a road bike.  So naturally I went out and picked up a road bike in order to get myself fit for the racetrack.  Another year later and I had a second two wheeled interest and I was ready to join my current cycling team.

Ben Spies - You might notice that he is pointed towards the grass in this picture.  He is actually sliding the rear tire while accelerating out of the turn (hence all of the dark lines on the pavement).

Imbedded into the above story is the fact that I love motorcycle racing.  Bicycle racers are some tough hombres but in my mind motorcycle racers are the bees knees.  They combine physical strength, mental fortitude, and whole boat load of guts to take a two wheel rocketship around a track at speeds that most of us will only reach in an airplane.  

Remember physics class in high school... I think this breaks all of Newton's laws.
I follow at least 3 major motorcycle racing circuits and the best of these is MotoGP.  They ride prototype motorcycles as seen in the pictures above and the best riders in the world all show up for the throwdown.  I have plans to go back to the racetrack later this year in between bicycle races but as that won't happen until at least May I am stuck watching videos like these below to stoke the motorcycle fire.  The top video is of Casey Stoner (the current world champion) and the bottom video is of Ben Spies (the first American to win a race in 5 years).  It's also worth noting that Ben Spies sponsors/races a Texas based cycling team.



On a separate topic, Kelsey and I just finished going the whole month of February without eating any fast food (yes, we love fast food and we know it is bad for us).  For March I have committed to spending a half hour each day working on my spanish speaking skills with the Rosetta Stone program.  




No comments:

Post a Comment